The Asian Women In Business Scholarship Fund
The Asian Women In Business Scholarship encourages and promotes exceptional Asian female students who have demonstrated scholarship, leadership, community service and/ or entrepreneurship. The AWIB Scholarship Fund will award Scholarships in November 2014 to students who have the attributes to be our next generation of leaders.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is Asian Women in Business (AWIB)?
Founded in 1995, Asian Women In Business (AWIB) is the only non-profit, tax-exempt organization in the country with the primary mission of assisting Asian women entrepreneurs. Over the years, AWIB has expanded its mission to address identified needs and issues affecting the business and professional development of Asian Americans. AWIB also serves on various task forces and boards to promote the inclusion of minorities and women as business owners and as leaders in the corporate structure.
- How is the AWIB Scholarship Fund being funded?
Funding is dependent on the generosity of individual and corporate donors. Donations to the Fund are fully tax-deductible under IRS Section 501(c)(3). Each scholarship will be $2,500. An additional $2,500 may be given to scholarship recipients who demonstrate financial need. We are grateful for the donors to the Scholarship Fund which include Enterprise Holdings, PNC Bank and many generous individuals.
- Who is eligible for the AWIB Scholarship?
Asian women who fulfill the following criteria will be considered:
- Asian or Pacific Islander ancestry (includes those who can trace their ancestry from Bangladesh, Bhutan, Cambodia, China, India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Laos, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, Philippines, Pakistan, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, and Vietnam). Please note that AWIB follows the definition used by the U.S. Census.
- Enrolled full-time in an accredited 4-year undergraduate institution in the US, at the time of application and award
- Maintain a minimum 3.0 GPA at the time of application
- Provide the most recent college transcript; semi-finalists will be asked to provide the most recent official transcript
- U.S. citizen or a permanent resident of the U.S.
- Have one or more of the following: (a) a leadership role in a community endeavor or (b) a record of entrepreneurial achievement (e.g. founded your own business)
- Would I be eligible for the scholarship if I am part-Asian?
Yes. As long as you are at least 50% Asian and you meet all other eligibility criteria for the scholarship.
- I will be a freshman at a university/college, do I qualify for the scholarship?
A college transcript showing at least a 3.0 GPA is required. If you are in your second semester/term, you will be able to provide the required transcript. Any kind of high school transcript will NOT be accepted. Advanced placement credits do not qualify as undergraduate credits under this scholarship program. This is a scholarship for those who are already in college. You must complete at least one (1) semester at an undergraduate institution in order to be eligible to apply.
- I am in my last year and will be graduating from my university/college. Can I still apply for the scholarship?
The AWIB Scholarship Fund is designed to be used for your undergraduate years and not for graduate school or other post-graduation activities. At the time of award in November 2014, you must have at least one (1) semester/term (a full course load) remaining before graduation.
- I attend a community college. Since it is only a two-year degree program, do I qualify for the scholarship?
Yes, but only if you provide documentation that you will be attending or transferring to a four year college. Proof can be in the form of an admission letter or an application sent to a 4 year institution. Students who do not continue their education by attending a four year college are not eligible for the AWIB Scholarship.
- Do I need to submit my official college transcript?
No. Initially, you may submit an unofficial college transcript. Semi-finalists will be asked to provide their most recent official college transcript.
- What qualifies as entrepreneurial achievement?
Starting a business qualifies as entrepreneurial. However, you must have this business at least one year, it should generate revenues and it must be profitable. If it is a non-profit, you must provide proof of what your organization has accomplished. Please note that you do not need to have an entrepreneurial background to qualify for this scholarship.
- What is considered community experience?
Ideally, community experience is voluntary work which clearly provides benefit to groups of people. It can also be an internship with a non-profit organization where you help fulfill the mission of the group. Working in a for-profit enterprise is not considered community experience even if it is located in a community or local area.
- How do I demonstrate leadership?
We are looking for students who are making a difference, who are leading others to do the same, and who are passionate and committed to a cause over a period of time. Volunteering a few days for a community service project is laudable but would not be sufficient proof of leadership for this scholarship. Examples of leadership include: (a) holding a position of authority in a voluntary activity; (b) leading an effort to organize students on campus and/or raising money for a good cause; (c) founding or leading an organization to help inner city youth; providing programs on environmental issues; implementing services to the community or leading activities/programs that have a positive impact; (d) working at a non-profit organization during the school year or summers and responsible for leading a group of volunteers, raising funds or managing a significant project.
- Can my application be handwritten?
No. Handwritten applications will be rejected without review. Applications must be typed. The application is a text-enabled pdf.
- Will the references provided in my application be contacted?
At the semi-final stage of the review process, we will be verifying references provided by applicants under the appropriate application sections (community service, leadership experience, work experience and entrepreneurial endeavor). It is the responsibility of applicants to provide us with correct and current contact information. Applicants who don't provide readily verifiable information are unlikely to receive an AWIB Scholarship. References from family members are not acceptable. References from other students will not be sufficient to prove leadership. The use of service or experience in an organization run by a family member may result in disqualification unless full disclosure is made and reliable and independent verification is provided. The best references are employers, supervisors, professors, deans, etc.
- May I fax my application?
No. We do not accept faxed applications. We only accept mailed applications to AWIB.
- What is the deadline for the application submissions?
The deadline for submission is October 1, 2015. Completed applications must be postmarked with the required attachments on or before October 1, 2015. Late applications will not be considered. Please do not submit applications past this deadline. Recommendation letters may be sent separately but must be received on or before the deadline.
- Where do I send my completed application?
Mail your application package to:
Asian Women In Business
42 Broadway, Suite 1748
New York, NY 10004
- Will I be notified when my application package is received?
No. It is advisable for you to opt for a delivery confirmation service such as Priority Mail with the US Postal Service when you mail your application to AWIB. Your package will not be returned to you so please make a copy for your records.
- When will scholarship winners be notified?
Winners will be notified in November of 2014. AWIB, at its discretion, may conduct interviews with semi-finalists and finalists. The names of scholarship winners will be posted on www.awib.org.
- Would the scholarship award amount be less if I have several other scholarships and loans?
No. The basic $2,500 of the AWIB scholarship award is not need-based. Thus, it is a set amount regardless. However, applicants must disclose the amount of finanical aid they receive as a part of the application process for the AWIB scholarship. If the AWIB scholarship affects the financial aid package that you receive at your college, please be advised that we will not, under any circumstance, issue scholarship checks to the award winner's college.
- How can I be eligible for the additional $2,500 need-based scholarship?
To be eligible, you must submit a copy of the most current FAFSA form AND the Financial Aid Award Notice from your institution for the 2014-2015 academic year with your application. However, if funding for a given year is below our goal, this additional amount may not be awarded.
- If I am awarded the AWIB Scholarship, am I required to submit proof of the award to my Financial Aid Office?
Yes, if you receive Financial Aid. If chosen to be a scholarship recipient, it would be your responsibility to report any external education scholarships that you receive to your school's Financial Aid Office. You must also provide proof that you informed your Financial Aid Office of the receipt of the AWIB scholarship. If such proof is not provided, AWIB may rescind the award or, if the scholarship is already given, will notify the appropriate parties.
- Who is the scholarship award check made out to?
The scholarship award check will be made out to the scholarship recipient, and not to the recipient’s school. Scholarship money is expected to go towards educational or related expenses. If we are asked to submit the money to the college because the student receives a generous scholarship from the university, we may rescind the scholarship award.
- Is the AWIB scholarship taxable?
Tax laws vary by state / county. We recommend the scholarship recipient to contact her tax advisor for more guidance on this matter. The scholarship recipient is responsible for taxes that may be assessed against the scholarship award.
- Am I still eligible for the scholarship if I am currently participating in a study abroad program?
Yes, you are eligible as long as you are still enrolled in your accredited 4-year U.S. undergraduate institution.
- What if I have a question not answered here?
We have tried to answer the most common and prevalent questions about the AWIB Scholarship Fund. If you have additional questions not covered by the FAQ, please send us an email at email@example.com.